A town is also its people. In 1880, Amos Graves Cox brought his barefoot bride to a log cabin near what is now the road to Renston. He began clearing land and eventually built their home and a store there. Like most of his neighbors, Mr. A.G. was a cotton farmer. Earlier, his father, John C. Cox, had invented a cotton planter, which Mr. A.G. improved and began to manufacture in a shop next to his store. The planters were soon in great demand and several hundreds were shipped by steamboat into the deep South each year.